Your installation engineer will fit all your contact sensors. It's important you don't attempt to install any sensors yourself before or after the engineer has set up your system!
Tips and Tricks for installing the contact sensor
This guide will walk you through the process of installing the Contact Sensors if you have a DIY system and not a fully monitored solution. Before you begin, have a read of our positioning guide to making sure you choose the best location.
Prepare the Sensor
1. Take the two parts of the sensor to the room it will be installed in. Make sure you take your phone with you as you will need to add the sensor to the mobile app.
2. Remove the wall bracket on the sensor and the magnet by gently inserting a flathead screwdriver into the slot on the rear of the sensor and magnet as shown below and put the bracket to one side.
Sensor & battery removal from the wall bracket
3. Open the Boundary App on your phone and first make sure you have created the room for the sensor to be added to. You can check this by going to Settings > Rooms. If you need to add a new room then:
- Tap Settings > Rooms
- Tap Add New
- Enter a Room Name. This can be anything you like but make sure it's something relevant to you
- Select an Icon for the room from the supplied images. This is used to help you easily identify the room type or usage
- Tap the Create Room button
- The room is created and you can now add the sensor
Pair before Battery Activation!
Make sure you follow the process below before pulling the battery tab or you may waiting a good few minutes before the sensor can pair itself with the hub!
4. We now need to get the sensor paired up with the hub. You can find the QR code and DSK code on the back of the sensor as shown below:
Location of QR and DSK codes
When you're ready, make sure you're still logged into the app and then:
- Tap Settings > Sensors > Add New
- Using the camera on your phone, scan the QR code on the sensor or tap the Enter Code Manually button
- After a moment the sensor will pair with the central hub
- Enter a friendly name for the sensor
- Select which Room the sensor will belong to
- Select if the sensor is on a main Entry/Exit Route
- Tap the Save button
5. Pull out the battery tab and make sure the battery is securely fitted. You can now attach the sensor to your chosen location ponce the pairing process is complete.
Attach the Sensor
Once you have found the best location for the sensor (make sure you check out our positioning guide first!) then you need to attach it to the door or window frame. Remember to leave a maximum 25mm gap between the sensor and the position for the magnet part of the sensor.
1. Take the contact sensor bracket (the thicker of the two parts) and align it to the door or window frame
2. Using the mounting holes as a guide (see images below) screw the bracket to the window frame. The bracket is supplied with shorter screws for PVC doors but it's a little fiddly so we recommend drilling a 1.5m pilot hole before screwing the bracket down. You can use the sticky pads if you prefer but we do recommend the screws for fixing.
3. Repeat the process with the magnet bracket making sure that there is less than a 25mm gap to the sensor and the top/bottom parts of the sensor aligned.
Screw positions for the contact sensor bracket
Screw positions for the contact sensor magnet bracket
3. Be careful not to overtighten the screws to avoid twisting or warping the brackets
4. Gently drop the sensor body and magnet into the brackets until you hear it click into place
All done, your contact sensor is installed!